Monday, February 13, 2012

Berlin, 2011 Embarrassing memories.

So I know there's not to much look at in this photo. But it's not really about the photo its about what took place just seconds after I shot these two girls. We, Ed, Ashley, Grant and myself were approached by undercover train ticket checker cops. You see in Berlin you can if you want to take the chance to hop on trains without buying a ticket. I of course do not like taking such chances considering if you do get caught not only are you publicly embarrassed you also have to pay a ridiculous fine. But for some reason, and it's only in Berlin, Ed likes this gamble. I unfortunately never carry any money on me so if he doesn't spring for the ticket I have to walk on with fingers crossed. Well our luck ran out on this ride, we were approached by two unassuming ticket cops and asked, (in a full car!) to show our tickets, I of course threw Ed under the bus immediately by pointing to him to the cops and said, "ask him". Everyone tried to play dumb, (another embarrassing move) and then the cops asked us for our passports which none of us had on our persons so then they started talking about taking us in, What?! Instead though, at the next train stop they just had us get off and pay the fine, which I think might of been around 75 US dollars. Each. I think gambling sucks.
One of the more beautiful accomplices Ashely B.
Exactly how I felt.
Thank goodness we were not on this train. And I'm sorry for the people who were.
Even though I was super embarrassed and had a lot of "I told you so's!", it couldn't take away how much I love this city, love the partner I was traveling around with. Next time though, I'll carry a small coin purse.

9 comments:

FUBAR said...

Havent paid for a ticket for 5 years (except when i have luggage with me).
In my country the law is that only policemen can ask for your id. So when i get caught i tell them i dont have money and when they ask for id i tell them they re not cops. They have to call the cops and detain me but by law this is abduction. So i tell them to kiss my ass and leave. Never had a problem no one tried to tackle me i wish they tried some times.

Ed Templeton said...

What country do you live in FUBAR?

Garry Trinh said...

I love that photo of Ed. It says so much about who the two of you are.

Deanna Templeton said...

Thanks Garry!

FUBAR said...

I am from Greece Ed. And i hope ppl wont start with the fuck up quote "thats why you are going bunkrupt", cause the public transport is owned by a corporate in my city that has the monopoly and increases prices unreasonably high. After the last increase in prices (like 70% despite our economic situation) anarchists and communists encourage everyone to stop paying for tickets and they have provided in public the above information regarding the law.

untitled clippings said...

are you sure they were cops - it is a european scam where they hassle the tourist - happen to me in budapest

Sabrina said...

Deanna! I just found your blog-- what? was i lurking around Ed's facebook page? no.. you can't prove it.
anyway.. i so feel your pain. haha. one, i hate gambling because i always lose. and two -- i got caught my last day in Melbourne with no tram ticket -- a $150AUS at the time, mailed to my house. i never paid. (thinking that i'd never be back, that.. and i was so poor).. flash forward.. went to australia with geoff and was pooping my pants that they'd arrest me in the airport for my outstanding ticket. haha. should have just paid the $2.

Unknown said...

i liked this.

lonesome-cowgirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.